In this constantly fast paced life, acidity is extremely common. The reasons for this can be variedly different but the outcome is the same old chest pain. Chest pain is also associated with a Heart Attack. Heart Attack is caused when there is an artery blockage while Acidity is caused when the stomach acid goes back to the food pipe. The pain of acidity is usually felt in the upper abdomen right above the belly button. It might result in a dull, aching and burning sort of pain. But this pain is not always associated with Acidity. When along with this pain, there is sweating and tiredness, in those cases it can be something as serious as a Heart Attack. When the pain moved to the back of your body then it could be something as dangerous as Pancreatitis. Similarly, long, untreated Acidity in addition with weight loss, pain during swallowing, irregular bowel movements (diarrhoea or constipation for a longer period of time) can be symptoms of something as bad as a Cancer. Therefore, a pain in your belly button will not always be Acidity. In cases where the pain is unexplained, sudden or severe, it is essential that you consult a doctor immediately.
The Different Symptoms of Heart Attack and Acidity
It is difficult to analyze the both just on the basis of the symptoms. Even the doctors prefer tests. But there are some differences that need to be kept in mind:
- Acidity increases right after eating and can also happen while lying down. Heart Attack can happen even during a meal.
- Acidity can be treated with medicines that reduce the acid levels in the oesophagus.
- Breathlessness, sweating, dizziness, and tiredness aren’t symptoms of Acidity.
- Bloating, nausea, and belching are not the symptoms of a Heart Attack.
- The pain caused due to Acidity doesn’t usually radiate to the shoulders, neck or arms.
- The most common symptoms of Acidity include- a burning pain that initiates from the breastbone and travels all back up to the throat, a sensation that the food is coming back to your mouth, an acidic or bitter taste at the back of the throat, and an increase in pain while lying down or bending over.
- The most common symptoms of a Heart Attack include- a tightness or dull pressure felt generally in the centre of the chest, a cold sweat, pain radiating to shoulders, necks or arms, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, and breathlessness.
If you are suffering from a chest pain and the reason for the same is unsure then it is best to consult a doctor. A doctor can’t himself clearly make out the distinction but proper tests and first aid is what that you require at this moment. If you also have issues related to gas, then it is better to get yourself checked for any heart diseases. Hereditary heart problems can also lead to certain heart diseases. Prevention is better than cure. Therefore live a cholesterol-free and healthy life, eat right and in turn you will be saved from either acidity or heart attack. s